Monday, September 19, 2011

Montessori Monday: Fall Sensory Bin/Sensory Bin Activities

Jonathan has really been enjoying playing with the sensory bins I've made recently. For our most recent sensory bin, I made a fall themed bin:


In it I used:

- brown aquarium rocks (from Walmart)
- silk leaves (bought last year from Target $1 section)
- red pompoms
- fake acorns, pinecones, gourds, apples (from Target $1 section)

Here are some things we've done with it:


Practiced spooning and transferring the aquarium rocks from one container to another (Jonathan is quite proficient at this).

Practiced dry pouring the aquarium rocks (Jonathan was more interested in this activity, but made a bit of a mess with it!)



Practiced spooning the larger objects and putting them into muffin tins



Worked on ABAB patterns with the acorns, apples, gourds and pinecones.



Jonathan really just wanted to line things up:



Sorted the leaves into piles based on their colors


Sorted the various objects:


Not only does it provide some fun sensorial play, but it's also great for practicing both practical life skills and basic math skills!

I'm linking this up to these lovely blogs!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

The sensory bin looks great! So much fun! Thank you for sharing.

martianne said...

I love the ways you describe using your bin!

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

Great bin! I love the idea of using the muffin tin with it!

Deb Chitwood said...

Awesome sensory bin! And I love the way your followed your son's interests and created a variety of activities with the sensory bin. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned it to my Autumn Leaves Unit Study board at Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/autumn-leaves-unit-study/

melissa said...

Very cool! I have never gotten too excited about sensory bins, but now that I see how creative you have gotten with yours and the many ways that you can use it, I may be changing my tune!

Mariann said...

Thanks for sharing

Ticia said...

2 years seemed a more doable time frame with my Sunday School class, of course if you're going through it all in one year, that means you'll very quickly get ahead of me, and that means I get to see what you're going to do :)

It'd be helpful if you had your email enabled, and then I could just email you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...