Friday, November 5, 2010

Favorite Black/White Board Books

For Fridays, I thought it would be fun to talk about some of my favorite black and white books that I've read with my babies.

I Kissed the Baby by Mary Murphy.

This book has been my favorite, by far. It is a charming story about woodland animals bragging about how they played with a new baby duckling. It has big, bold, black and white illustrations with dashes of bold color. Both of my children have enjoyed this board book so far. And, best of all, it ends with a big kiss! What's not to enjoy? It is now out of print, but you can find used copies to purchase or borrow the book from your local library.

Find this book in a library
Purchase Through Amazon:




Black & White by Tana Hoban

This accordion-style  book depicts white (or black) objects against a black (or white) background. The objects are all simple silhouettes. You can use this book to describe objects to baby or prop it open for baby to look at during tummy time.

Find this book in a library
Purchase through Amazon:




Art for Babies


I checked this book out of our local library to use with my daughter. The wonderful thing about this book is it includes 12 designs from modern artists, so it's like a little art appreciation thrown into a large board book format. It also includes some pictures that you can hang in your nursery or playroom for baby to look at while you do a diaper change. This large book is also perfect for propping up for your child to look at during tummy time.


Find this book in a library
Purchase through Amazon:



Hello Animals! by Smitri Prasadam

We recently checked this book out of our library and my little girl loved it. Everytime I pulled the book out, she would smile at the pictures! It has a cute little animal on each page and each page has a hint of colored foil. It really caught her attention and is a new favorite!

Find this book in a library

Purchase through Amazon:




Note: I am an Amazon affiliate and receive a very small commission should you choose to purchase these resources through their website. However, I'd also encourage you to find these books in your local library and have included a Worldcat link for your convenience.  

1 comment:

Elizabeth Bennett said...

Hi Amanda,
Thanks for including Hello Animals in your review of favorite black and white books. Your little girl might also love Hello Bugs -- another book in the same series. You can check it out on our website: http://www.tigertalesbooks.com/author/Smriti+Prasadam
We welcome your comments hope you will become a member. I have also posted a link to your blog on our facebook page. Are you a fan yet?
Happy Reading,
Elizabeth Bennett
tiger tales

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...