Sunday, May 29, 2011

Tot School- f is for firetrucks & footballs!

Tot School
Jonathan is 29 Months

We started looking at the letter "f" by reading about firetrucks and footballs. Jonathan is really interested in both things that move and any kind of sport, so he had a lot of fun this week!

Bible 


We haven't worked on a Bible verse this week. We've been taking a little break from it. I have been playing the Seeds of Courage on our iPod and Jonathan likes dancing and moving around to the music.

We continued reading through a little devotional in the morning, Everything a Child Should Know about God by Kenneth Taylor. We do one page each day and talk about the pictures.

We bought a few more books from the Beginner's Bible I Can Read and Jonathan loves these books. Each night he asks for one or more stories.

Books 


We read lots and lots of books the past couple weeks about firemen/firetrucks (see part I and part II) as well as footballs.

  • Flashing Fire Engines by Tony Mitton- this is another part of Tony Mitton's Amazing Machines series. This book focuses on firemen. and is a wonderful, fun introduction to what firemen do. 
  • Fire Engine Man by Andrea Zimmerman & David Clemesha- a little boy imagines what he will do as a fireman someday and how he'll teach his younger brother to be a fireman. 
  • The Little Fire Engine by Lois Lenski- a reprint of a 1946 book that tells about Fireman Small and shows him going through his day fighting fires and rescuing people. The vintage illustrations are charming and Jonathan wanted it read "again" and "again". 
  • My Football Book by Gail Gibbons- This nonfiction book teaches the main rules and positions of American football through showing a friendly competition between two teams. 
Those are the highlights- but we've read plenty more this week. See the original posts for our reviews.

Motor Skills 


We practiced stop, dropping, and rolling while we were learning fire safety. We also practiced "climbing" a ladder:



We also played football. :)

Art


We made a firetruck from a box and some construction paper. Both Jonathan and his friend T. had fun dressing up and pretending to be firemen:







Math/Puzzles/Games


We used our beginner pattern blocks to make a firetruck:


And did puzzles which featured firetrucks and footballs:


and Jonathan also had fun playing with his fire extinguisher which just happens to be a water gun. I let him "clean" my windows.



So that's what we've been up to this week!


I'm linking up to:

Link & Learn @ No Time for Flashcards
Tot School @ 1+1+1=1




8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the ladder and firetruck! What creative ideas!

Krissa said...

Love all the firefighter stuff...I'll have to use this with my son when he's older...so fun!

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

The firetruck you made is adorable and looks like your son really enjoyed it! The water gun fire extinguisher would be loved by my kiddos-I'll have to look for one!

RedTedArt said...

Oh my! Climbing that fire ladder is just too adorable!!! And that fire truck is simply perfect - how cute that he can sit in it! Brilliant!

Thank you so much for linking to Kids Get Crafty - WONDERFUL to have you there!

Maggy

Nicolette said...

Great ideas! I will definitely be using the firetruck idea soon!

Nicolette said...

Oh yeah, forgot I'm now new a follower.

Kalee said...

Thanks for visiting and becoming a follower of my blog! I have enjoyed looking at your recent posts and found some great ideas! I especially like the tape ladder!

Jen @ lil Mop Top said...

So cute! Love the ladder on the floor. I will try that out this week during our 'unit' on fire fighters!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...