Tuesday, May 24, 2011

f is for firetruck/firefighter: books

We finally started our "f" unit by looking at firetrucks!

My little boy loves cars, trucks, planes-- anything that moves. Firetrucks have really caught his attention. We live in a small downtown area where the fire station is about a block or two away, so we hear the sirens frequently. Jonathan gets excited every time he hears the sirens and has to come tell me about it. This little mini-unit was a hit for him. I thought I'd start breaking up what we've done into several different posts. Here are the books we've been reading:

Books 




Fire Engine Man by Andrea Zimmerman & David Clemesha

This is the second book we've read by this writing duo. It is a follow-up book to Digger Man, which Jonathan really loved, and it follows a similar storyline. A little boy imagines what he would do as a fireman. He would put out fires and slide down poles. He would sleep in a bunk at the fire station and drive firetrucks. His little brother is too young right now, but one day he'll teach him how to be a firefighter. Jonathan enjoyed this as much as the first book-- he requested it be read several times. I think he can relate to the young boy in the story and how he just really enjoys big firetrucks!


Flashing Fire Engines by Tony Mitton

Both Jonathan and I have really enjoyed Tony Mitton's Amazing Machines series. So as I plotted out our lessons, I knew I wanted to reserve this book. The book is filled with Mitton's usual alliterative prose and shows three friendly firefighters going about their day. The firefighters drive in their fire engine with flashing lights and help rescue people who need help. It's a wonderful, fun introduction to what fire fighters do.



Fire! Fire! by Gail Gibbons

This book by noted notifction writer Gail Gibbons is perfect for the older tooddler or preschooler. This book explains how firefighters fight fires in different settings-- in the city, in the country, in the forest and on the waterfront. There are only a few sentences per page and the detailed illustrations are labeled so you can point out different terms to your child. The book also includes fire prevention tips as well as instructions on what to do if there is a fire. Jonathan paid attention to the first section, about the fire in the city, but then he quickly lost interest. I think if I continue to read one section at a time, it will be a great resource for him.


I Want to be a Firefighter by Dan Liebman

This book features full and double-page photographs of firefighters in action. The book features both firemen and fire-women and teaches about the daily responsibilities they face. There are one or two sentences per page, which make it an easy read-aloud for the younger set. Jonathan sat through the book but wasn't as interested in the pictures as I thought he might be. If your child is interested in being a firefighter when he or she grows older, then this book may be a bigger hit.

I'm linking this post to:

Read Aloud Thursday @ Hope is the Word
Feed Me Books Friday @ Little Sprout Books
What My Child is Reading @ Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns

5 comments:

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Oooh, I'm taking notes for my baby boy! Thanks so much for linking up to RAT! :-)

Carrie said...

Following the RAT links that Amy provided. I think our little Bookworm2 would absolutely love these. The Gibbons one looks familiar, though I'm not sure we've actually read it. The others are new to us.

Glad you shared on this theme!

Brimful Curiosities said...

All your suggestions look great. We love all of Tony Mitton's books.

Isil Simsek said...

All of these books are new to us.
Thanks for sharing.I would love it if you linked up to Book Sharing Monday on my blog.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What a great list for kids obsessed with firefighters! Thanks for joining WMCIR!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...