Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Brownies!

I really enjoy baking- whenever I get a chance, that is! Cooking is okay, but I'd much rather bake. I like the creativeness of baking and the sense of accomplishment when I finish a recipe. Having a sweet tooth doesn't hurt either! 

I'm a sucker for trying new recipes, so I thought I'd share the ones we've tried and liked. I made this brownie recipe last week and it turned out really well. It's just a basic brownie recipe, but I clipped it for my recipe binder! My original intent was to cut the brownies into football shapes, but I got lazy so we just had regular brownies. :) 

Brownies 

1 cup butter (2 sticks)
3/4 cup cocoa powder  (or 4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, melted)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts, optional  (I did not use)

Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, melt the butter. Whisk in the cocoa or melted baking chocolate. Stir in the sugar. Make sure the mixture has cooled, and then add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until very cremy. Stir in the flour, salt, and vanilla. Fold in the nuts if using. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cut immediately. Let cool for 30 minutes, then remove from the pan. 

Modifications: I added 1/2 tsp espresso powder to bring out the chocolate flavor as well as 1 cup peanut butter chips (I was craving chocolate/peanut butter). It was delicious- I think I ate half the pan myself. :) 

Original Recipe Source: Penzey's Spices Catalog

If you try them, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...