Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Kids in the Word: King Solomon

The Pelsers


A couple weeks ago, we learned about King Solomon. Let me tell you, finding resources to teach on Solomon was pretty tough! I found no children's books that I liked and coming up with a craft was hard as well. I was determined to press on so here's what we did:


Books 


First, we read from our toddler Bible. Solomon was divided up into 4 or 5 stories, so we did one story per day.

I tried to find some children's books on Solomon, but couldn't find any except for King Solomon and the Bee. This is a myth adapted from rabbinic literature-- but I didn't feel comfortable reading Jonathan a myth about a true biblical figure. I don't want him to confuse the Bible with mythology.

Do you know of any books on King Solomon? I couldn't even find any Arch books (a pretty expansive series for children) on Solomon. I'd love to have some up my sleeve for next year.


Life/Character


Since Solomon asked for wisdom, we talked a lot about what wisdom is. We talked about making wise choices which honor God. I read some Proverbs about wisdom:

Proverbs 2:6  For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding. 


Proverbs 3:13 Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding. 



Craft 


We made a crown (since Solomon was a king). I just had Jonathan color on yellow cardstock and then I cut out the crown and had him glue it on paper. He also decorated it with star stickers and was very particular about one gold star, two silver stars, etc.  It would also be cute using gem stickers or something similar, but we didn't have any on hand. Since Solomon asked for wisdom we wrote one of our Proverbs on the crown:







So, this was a hard week to pull together, but I'm glad we learned about Solomon. Next up-- Elijah!

4 comments:

Amanda @ The Pelsers said...

Cute craft. Kids are so funny when they are particular about something :)

Ticia said...

I can't really think of any books about Solomon either. I guess because it's another one of those that is hard to easily translate to kids.

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

I like what you did for the craft!! I dont know, when I googled Arch books on Solomon I found rwo: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0570061660?SubscriptionId=0QCHRJVSKG6F3BRGBNG2&tag=pbs_00005-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=0570061660 http://www.amazon.com/Temple-King-Solomon-Built-Books/dp/0570061555. If I come up with others, I'll let you know.

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

I guess I should tell you the titles instead, duh. King Solomon's Dream, The Temple King Solomon Built, and I just found The Wise King and the Baby. They may be out of print, but they were all on Amazon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...